Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Task 11

Well, I sort of did this out of order, but as we learned about some of the new tools, I implemented them right away.  That tends to work better for me because then I remember exactly what to do and learn as I go.  The first thing I did was use pixton.com, the comic-creating website.  On three occasions now, I've had my class take vocabulary lists, two associated with grammar and one from A Separate Peace, and create comics using the words.  It has been interesting to see how difficult this is for some of the kids, which means it's a good exercise.  I was a little worried about them spending too much time on the characters/backdrop and not enough on the words, but most of them could complete the assignment in one class period.  And do I even need to mention that they LOVED it??  If you'd like to see their creations, just email me, and I can give you the log-in and password.

The second thing I did is set up a blog for my literature class.  When we started A Separate Peace, I based mine on one that you gave us to check out early on (I think it was from Woodward).  For the past several weeks, the kids have had to post an entry once a week - in a different category each time.  We've also done some in class, using our netbooks.  Here's the link: http://piaseparatepeace.blogspot.com/

While, overall, it's definitely been a positive experience, there have been a few struggles.  With the netbooks (and sometimes the desk tops) several kids lost their work, so I've encouraged them to write in a word processing program and then post their comments.  I've had to work hard to get them to proof (and do things like capitalize!), but they do seem to respond to the idea that anyone out there can read it - and judge them.  (Ah - using teenage insecurity to my benefit!)

However, the blog positives have definitely outweighed the struggles.  I've loved reading the posts, especially from those who have difficulty speaking up in class, and I'm amazed at the depth with which they are analyzing the material.  I also love the fact that, as we approach our final test or project, there a load of information on the blog to refresh their memories and inspire them.

So, these have both been great tools that I will use again, hopefully with fewer glitches next time!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Jennifer.
    I read your blog post about using a blog in your literature class. I definitely want to do that next fall. So, I may be asking you for some help. I think having students think about a question and respond to it and to each other before class is a great idea.

    I just set up my blog today. You can see my puny blog at http://marthassummer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete