Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Final Exam


The thing I enjoyed most about Pi 2.0 was the combination of exposure and practice.  There are so many times when I have learned things (especially related to teaching), but if I don't put them into practice immediately, they are forgotten.  The repeated exposure has also been good for me.  As many times as I've posted on this blog, there are still things I'm figuring out.  Just today my Task 11 suddenly showed up unreadable, and I ended up having to change my template.  But, in a way, that was good - because it reminded me HOW to change a template.

Honestly, there wasn't a lot I didn't like about the class.  There were some tools that, while interesting, didn't seem to have much application to the classroom (like the one that makes a puzzle of a picture or the fake newspaper article), and I got kind of frustrated with those.  

My favorite task was blogging because I immediately set up my blog, and since I've had to maintain it, I'm retaining what I've learned.  It's been a great tool for the kids, and something that has more relevance to them than many of the things I've taught.  

I also like how it forced me to keep finding out about, and learning how to use, new things.  In the past, I might hear from a colleague about a good tool, but s/he wasn't there to walk me through it and explain all the ways it could be used.  It was also helpful to be able to post questions on my blog and have them answered so quickly and effectively.

In terms of what I didn't like, at first, I really hated Delicious.  I just couldn't seem to grasp it.  Partially, I think it's the way it was packaged (or the way I interpreted the packaging) as being mostly helpful for using multiple computers.  Since I almost always use my laptop, that's not really an issue for me.  But what IS an issue for me is keeping track of websites - I've never used my bookmarks as much as I should - and being able to look at them by category is great.  Now, instead of wandering aimlessly through the internet, I can tag the articles of interest and return to them when needed.  AND I'll have them to refer to next year, rather than starting all over (which I generally seem to do).

I definitely think Pi 2.0 will influence me in the class - well, it already has.  The kids have been excited to try new things, and that gives me energy to stick with it.  Plus, I don't get bored...frustrated, often, but not bored.  My fear is that I won't keep up with some of the things I've learned.  However, I know I'll keep setting up blogs and wikis, and I know that I'll use Delicious, especially to keep track of my resources.  I guess the "tools" analogy is an apt one because I feel like I have more in my toolbox now:  more ways to present information, more ways to be creative and encourage creativity in kids, and more ways to reach the students.  

Thanks to Amy and all of you who supported this project.  For me, it was great.


3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing Pi2.0! Glad the class was a positive experience for you. I enjoyed reading your responses to all of the tasks and seeing how you used some of them in the classroom. We're looking forward to seeing all the cool techie things you will be doing in the future...especially once we get the netbooks working seamlessly. I hope you'll consider Pi2.1 next time it is offered...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, congrats on finishing! I admire your perseverance in light of the technical glitches you've endured. It sounds like the good has outweighed the bad though, by far. I loved seeing your kids mentioned in the article about blogging, and I'm happy to hear that your students are engaged and excited to write for an authentic audience.
    I've finally started using delicious regularly as well. It took me a while to warm up to it, but now I love it! Have you tried installing the Firefox toolbar and using the "favorite tags" view? It can sort your favorite tags into little folders right on your toolbar. I really like that feature. Let me know if you want me to show you sometime. Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer: I have been enjoying reading your posts. You are right. Learning something new does take time but often will save time in the long run. Also finding different ways to present material and engage kids can go a long way with helping kids learn. Did I tell you I have your Gils Lit Class as an example when I did a presentation for independent schools? Let us know anytime we can help. Kathy

    ReplyDelete