Sunday, February 28, 2010

Task 6

I had already used Skype and Quizlet for the first times this year.  About a month ago, we did our first Skype with a guest speaker, who was out in California, and I was amazed at how easy it was.  I've been trying to get my in-laws to buy-in to Skype with the grandchildren - but so far only have the one who's already in town.  I had only used Quizlet to make quizzes for my daughter's vocabulary tests, but this weekend I made one for my class to prepare for their next vocab. test - http://quizlet.com/1911412/vocabulary-test-210-flash-cards/.   I had also used Library Thing - about a year ago and hadn't used it since.  I went back and set up separate lists, for home and school.  I love the idea of recommendations, but the ones that were actually given didn't seem very on-target.

I have tried teachertube a few times this weekend, and I'm not having much success.  I tried typing in "A Separate Peace"  because our class is getting ready to do that book, but it kept giving me listings for "rate". Weird.  If I figure it out, I'd like to find some things I can link to the blog I've set up on the book - http://piaseparatepeace.blogspot.com/

I also experimented with Pixton, which seems like a great tool.  I would like to have my class make cartoons that include all the vocab. words form the upcoming list.  I signed up for the free teacher-trial that supposedly allows 30 people to use it, but I'm not sure if it will really work once all the kids log on.  In order for them to log on individually, their parents have to first approve via an email link.  I also can't figure out how to change my password - I'd rather them not have my tried-and-true one!  The badges, points, etc. seem quite confusing, and I hope that the kids don't run out of "points" before they're done.  Has anyone tried ToonDoo?  Are there advantages/disadvantages?

1 comment: